Add some color to your table this holiday with this earthy and flavor-packed dish, guaranteed to have everyone begging for seconds.
Oven-Roasted Root Vegetables with Spiced Pecan Topping Recipe
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
*Dark and light veggies cook separately to prevent color bleed
Spiced Pecan Topping
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (3 1/4 cups)
- 3/4 pounds golden beets (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges (2 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 pounds carrots (about 3 large), peeled and cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3/4 pound red beets (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium-size red onion, cut into 8 wedges with root intact
- 1 thyme sprigs, plus leaves for garnish
- Make the Pecan Topping: Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine syrup and butter in a saucepan, and heat until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans, chili powder, cinnamon, thyme, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8 minutes. Stir mixture; bake until toasted, 4 to 6 more minutes. Remove from oven and increase oven temperature to 450°F. Cool completely on baking sheet, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare Roasted Root Vegetables: Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine sweet potatoes, golden beets, and carrots in a large bowl. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper. Toss well to combine. Spread mixture in a single layer on 1 baking sheet.
- Combine red beets and red onion in same large bowl. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Toss well to combine. Spread mixture in a single layer on second baking sheet.
- Bake vegetables at 450°F for 20 minutes. Remove baking sheets from oven; stir vegetables. Tuck 4 thyme sprigs into orange vegetables and 2 thyme sprigs into red vegetables. Rotate baking sheets between top and bottom racks. Bake at 450°F until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a serving bowl; gently toss together. Coarsely chop pecan topping. Sprinkle topping and thyme leaves over vegetables before serving warm or at room temperature.
Looking for more delicious autumn eats? Be sure to check out our Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe next!
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment